"All right action flows from the breath"
- Hajakujo

Recent comments

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Help! I need somebody (to play Pacman)







Hello all friends of Ben's PhD!


I'd like to invite you to take part in an experiment being run as part of my PhD project, entitled Player Profiling & Modelling for Adaptive Artificial Intelligence in Computer and Video Games. This experiment aims to address the thorny problem of building into a game, an A.I. that can reason about the player's preferences for the kind of experience they will have.
It involves two parts - gathering of data on player habits, and building an automated modeller based on such data.

The first step is where I need your help - to download and play my Pacman implementation; and complete an online survey that will determine the type of player you are (adapted from the original donated courtesy of Chris Bateman and iHobo, many thanks).
All you need do, is proceed to my Pacman web page and follow the instructions!
Also, please please forward this mail on to as many people as you think may be interested in playing a free casual game, or advancing the field of game play research (by a tiny amount!).

If you take part, your privacy is completely assured and you'll be enveloped by the warm rosy glow of helping mankind (have better games of Pacman)...
Remember, this is for posterity, so, be honest...


Many thanks!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really cool project! I'll post about it in my weekly game AI roundup on Saturday at AiGameDev.com.

Email me if you want to do a quick interview/feature to get you a bit more attention... (Combine my username and my domain to get the address :)

alexjc

Unknown said...

Well thanks Alex, a post sounds really cool!
I could definitely use more attention, since the project depends on data mining game logs, and that depends on getting large numbers of respondents...expect an email!

nomad said...

(sorry sweets only internet connection I have has a firewall which isn't mine to make holes in, or else would have been happy to help make up the numbers)

Unknown said...

Nomad: try it anyway! I don't think there's too big a deal with firewalls and such. And if there is, one can but try!

nomad said...

your installer breaked on me, you jinx my use of technology you fiend (I swear the only time I have to type in word verification 2+ more times is on your blog) :(

PS Gotan project has the best modern tango. :)

PPS See you in Ireland soon, yes?

Unknown said...

Nomad: I'm beginning to think the installer needs an overhaul. This is not good. Please let me know what problems or errors were reported, and your system details (OS, .NET, Direct X).

I fookin HATES technology!

nomad said...

The error didn't give me any details, but ended on me almost at the end with a non-descript generic type of "could not complete install" error. Running XP, and needing .Net and DirectX set-up.