"All right action flows from the breath"
- Hajakujo

Recent comments

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Breakout!


My contribution to the Only a Game Play Specification Symposium.

For the symposium entry, and an explanation on what play specification is, see here. To understand why there is such a thing as play specification, play some low-rating games (maybe an X-men licence), then ask yourself - did the game designer really know what was going on between his game and its players? Or was he just throwing game tropes at the wall and hoping they'd end up a Picasso?

This is probably a controversial entry, from the point of view of being acceptable under the defined genre for entries - shooters. However, I loved this game, and even though it is not strictly shooting, the Constituative rules could be easily fit to a pure shooting game, with an Operative makeover.

Breakout! (who published the original? when? I'll never know, I first played a PC port circa 2000)
Specified by Ben

Verbs

Move (L/R arrow keys)
Bounce

Nouns

Bat (avatar)
Ball (or sphere, polyhedron, polygon, cube, etc depending on your philosophical outlook. I'm a glass half full person (I prefer to ask the more pertinent question - who stole the top half?) so I say its a ball)
Blocks
Power-ups
Extra Lives
Life Counter
Score

Adjectives

Length (of Bat)
Speed (of Ball)
Consistency (of Blocks)
Effect on Verb (of Power-up)



This is a little hasty in formulation. Possibly copy/paste and cut out the smart comment for clarity :D.
There are fine details that I'd consider important, but couldn't see how to express within this definition structure. Perhaps they just aren't the kind of details this structure deals with. I remember some of the power-ups as being radical enough to alter the whole gameplay, such as the sticky bat, which allowed you to choose when to release the bounce. It was the same bounce, but once you caught the ball you had all the time in the world to position your bat before release. That took all the time pressure off, and when that ball is zipping about at high speed, time pressure is a big gameplay element. But, I suppose the play specification is talking Constituatively, and time pressure is perhaps an Operative consideration (like clocks in chess).

When every game designer is using some kind if formal play specification, its gonna be soooo much easier to implement interesting things with some nice real-time machine learning of player types...but I'll say no more for now ;)

16 comments:

Chico Queiroz said...

Nice choice - and a controversial one!

Some additional info: Breakout was originally published for Atari in 1978. The designer was Steve Jobs (yes, the Apple one).

Patrick said...

I just found out you had a blog, so I'm sorry my first comment is such a downer.

You missed a verb: shoot. Only available at beginning of play, so an easy one to skip.

You posted twice.

And your link to my blog, which I really appreciate, sent me to an open page of virtual estate.

I'll peruse your archives.

Patrick said...

Its a bad link because you spelled it "kingludic.blogstop.com"

Patrick said...

Hey, do you know any graphic artists good with digital painting, prop design and backgrounds? I'm looking for another artist for MC and I'd love to have someone on board who lives on the island.

Unknown said...

Chico, thanks for the info. I was minus two in 1978...how time flies!

Paddy (you don't mind if I call you Paddy, it amuses my self-deprecating Irish wit): Just recently getting my overhauled web presence together in my spare time, which I normally designate as 'drinking time', so there are as yet large holes. No links to publications, incomprehensible layout and bad code, oh my...
I'll alert those I know, with the kinds of skills you need, to your project. There are a good few artists around who are into the mod scene, but with your permission I'll just pass your request along rather than act as intermediary.
In any event, I hope it all goes swimmingly for you, it seems an excellent concept with potential.

Anonymous said...

68OTw5 The best blog you have!

Anonymous said...

LOkMbm Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Good job!

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Anonymous said...

Magnific!